Saturday, February 27, 2010

Top 5 Romantic Comedies

I don't know a lot about "romance", so my definition of a romantic comedy may not be completely accurate. I do, however, know a lot about comedy and even more about cinema. So, for today, to keep things clear, a romantic comedy will be what I say it is.

Because I am so down on the genre, this blog may come as a shock to those who are close to me. And since all of my readers are family members, that means all of you. Little do you know I am actually a great appreciator of all kinds of well done film. It is not the romantic comedy itself that I despise. It is the lack of effort that is put into what I like to call the "Kate Hudson". The "Kate Hudson" is any movie that would be just as good or better with her in it. For example, "The Ugly Truth" starring the delicious Gerard Butler with the beautiful Katherine Heigl on his arm whom, for the record, I really like. Now picture it with Kate Hudson. Better, right? That is because Hudson knows the romantic comedy like the back of her perfectly curved calf. How did she come to be so knowledgeable on this the basest brand of film? Her expertise comes from the dross she produces almost annually. There are romantic comedies that are too smart for Kate to pull off and those make the cut. Here they are...




5- Bewitched (2005):


Here is a subject that, surprisingly, I have never touched on. The subject of Will Farrel. I love him, I really do. I have seen every one of his movies, bar "Night at the Roxbury" for reasons unknown even to myself. He is hilarious. He absolutely slays me. Some might argue that he is the same in everything he does and I agree. He is the same because he is always funny. He is a comedian, for heaven's sake. His job is to make people laugh, and if he does it well who cares what vehicle he takes to get there? Even if it is a shady, windowless van it still delivers comedy. Cut him some slack.

Nicole Kidman is a different story altogether. I do not think she is by any means a goddess of cinema, but ever since "Moulin Rouge" I have had a soft spot in my heart for her. The reason being "Moulin Rouge" was my gateway drug for film. One hit and I was hooked. It was the first movie I viewed as art and Kidman was a key factor in that. She was like the pearl earring on the "The Girl With the Pearl Earring". The painting would not have been anything spectacular without it, and Baz Luhrmann's masterpiece would have been just another sad attempt to bring back the musical without her.

Now, back to the film at hand. Nicole Kidman was bloody brilliant! It is hard to imagine Farrel and Kidman together romantically, but somehow her innocence and vulnerability matched his campy, overconfident air. It was adorable. The story was sweet and tender. The acting, much like a muffin, was perfectly over the top and the star power was well played. The cherry on top was that Kate Hudson could not have pulled it off to save her life. I loved it.




4- It Happened One Night (1934):


The recipe for a romantic comedy:

-1 Tablespoon two people meet under false pretenses

-1 cup they hate each other

-2 cups finding common ground

-4 cups falling in love

-1 cup finding out one or both is lying to the other

-5 cups redemption

-1 cup happily ever after

Mix ingredients in an unfamiliar setting. If you do not have an unfamiliar setting, a high school or the workplace will do. Boil over intervals of high heat, sexual tension, and horribly embarrassing moments. Remove from heat, let cool, wait for Kate Hudson's agent to call with her next available start date and repeat. For best results use Matthew McConaughey as the leading man.



As much as I mock it, it really is a brilliant concoction, and "It Happened One Night" was the first film to really perfect it. It has been the guiding light for romantic comedies since its conception in 1934. Though I do not agree with the implausible plot line of the average romantic comedy that leaves 12-year-olds around the world looking for a sensationalized version of love or lust that just doesn't exist, this particular film really was a gem. I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, it was so well done that people continue to steal its plot. They have been thieving it for over 75 years. Do not let its brilliance be darkened by the silly fodder that has followed in its path. It is a lighthearted, genuine joy to watch. There isn't a twist you haven't seen before, but back in the day it was new and exciting. So, not for the complicated plot or marvelous acting, but for its ability to so deeply and unknowingly change pop culture forever, it receives the esteemed honor of being called number four.

(P.S.- Kate Hudson probably could have pulled this off had she been alive, but since she wasn't this still is not a "Hudson Comedy".)




3- As Good As It Gets (1997):


The life in this movie is as thick as molasses. It swallows you up and you can't help but breath it in. Melvin Udall (Jack Nicholson) is a miserable man who falls in love with the most unlikely of creatures: a dog. This little bit of tenderness set outside of his obsessive-compulsive comfort zone sends him spiraling into a new life filled with compassion. Since this emotion is new to him, he makes mistakes along the way. But it is those mistakes that make "As Good As It Gets" an ode to the beauty of humanity. Even in the sadness there is an emotional fulfillment that can only be brought about by the passionate performances from the actors. I recently re-watched this film to get to the core of it. What I found was that each scene felt like my favorite. Each scene made me feel. I mean, really feel. And that is what I love about great cinema, it forces you to feel. This isn't just a great romance between a man and a woman. It is a romance between a man and living.




2- Annie Hall (1977):


For most people Woody Allen is known for his offbeat humor and sexual liberality, or possibly for the fact that he is so hit or miss. To me this is a hit. I am going to risk plagiarizing here because I can't remember where I read this, but someone once said something along the lines of "a good movie is a movie that everyone thinks is about them". For example, pro-lifers thought "Juno" was about pro-life and pro-choicers that it was about pro-choice. This is how I felt about "Annie Hall". The crazy that is Annie (Diane Keaton) is like a mirror of all women's insecurities. No matter what side of the political spectrum you stand on she is easy to relate to. I loved the realism of the problems in the relationship because they are the same problems all couples encounter. A combination of that and the unique narrating done by Woody Allen while still in character as Alvy Singer made something that was...well, for the lack of a better word, different. I enjoyed it, and since Kate Hudson is not "off-beat" enough to represent the average woman it fits nicely into my strict guidelines for a good romantic comedy.




1- Moon Struck (1987)-


I HATE Nicholas Cage. I hate his face. I hate is voice. I hate the way he walks, talks, and breathes in just about everything. What gets me about "Moonstruck" is that I forget Cage is even in it. It's that good. All of the characters are likable and the love story is sexy, simple, and sweet. It makes you laugh, makes you cry, and makes you want to fall in love. Cher blew my mind, and the chemistry between her and Nicky C., who is 20 years her junior, was phenomenal. Since the story involves Italian-American families it had the potential to over characterize each part. But it was just Italian enough that the family felt as though it could be any family. When it's over you want more. It is a timeless masterpiece that everyone can enjoy.

I am in a club called MMA, which does not stand for "Mixed Marshal Arts" but "Movies and Magazine Articles". The last time we met it was my turn to bring a movie. I brought "Moonstruck". Usually when a movie is over we stick its four little webbed limbs with pins on plastic sheeting, slice it down the middle, then remove each organ to analyze until there is nothing left. It can lead to hours of conversation. When "Moonstruck" was over all we had to say was that we really, really liked it. We just kept saying it over and over. That is because there is nothing in it not to like. The thing about romantic comedies is that there is no firm cinematic argument for why they are good. They just are. They make you feel good and that's how I knew "Moonstruck" was "Top 5" material. When it was over I just felt good. I want this movie to speak for itself. Here is the monologue by Nicholas Cage from a scene that give me chills every time I watch it. Enjoy!

"Loretta, I love you. Not, not like they told you love is and I didn't know this either. But love don't make things nice, it ruins everything! It breaks your heart, it makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. Snowflakes are perfect, stars are perfect. Not us! Not US! We are here to ruin ourselves and...and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and...and DIE...I mean, I mean the storybooks are bullshit. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and...and GET in my bed. Come on, come on, come on."

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool blog you have going here, Merry! I haven't seen any of those romantic comedies, but I do like Will Ferrell, although I feel like his recent stuff isn't anything like his older stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed two of my favorite romantic comedies, but you did get thier stars. "Stranger Than Fiction" (Will Farrel) and "Raising Arizona" (Nicolas Cage). You may not think of Raising Arizona as romantic, but when Hi bursts into the lockup to propose to Edwina declaring that the ring is not stolen my heart goes pitter pat. Ah..The salad days. Love the blog Merry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was maybe the best yet, or maybe I just felt better when reading it. I was actually wondering if you had seen "As Good As It Gets" the other day. I really liked it and I think about the title and how appropriate it is. Here is life, as good as it gets: flawed, and junked--insert Nicholas Cage monologue here--and at the same time, here is a man who is as good as he can get; this is all he has to offer. So do you rejoice in the absurd manifistations that life offers you, or do you dissapointedly defer to whatever. I guess it depends on how you look at the cup (which by the way, I bought at the five and dime).
    I love this movie even more for presenting it this way. This makes me want to reassert Jack as one of my favorite actors of yesteryear.

    And yes, Will Farrel is a comic genious. I just hope you always remember me for turning you on to "Annie Hall" as it always will be my favorite movies.

    By the way, have you ever seen, "Truly, Madly, Deeply"? It will blow your mind, I think. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103129/

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Good as It Get's is awesome. I need to see the others!

    ReplyDelete